Classified as the second largest in France after Paris, the Droguier of Montpellier bears witness to a long medical and pharmaceutical tradition. Created at the end of the 16th century following the creation of the Jardin des plantes, it contains a rare collection of more than 10,000 samples, mainly plants. Regularly enriched, this living museum is a valuable tool for understanding the history of "drugs" (plants, minerals, animal substances with medicinal or food activity) and the discovery of new medicines. Now housed within the Faculty of Pharmacy, the Droguier de Montpellier has been listed as a Historic Monument since 20 November 2009.
The Droguier de Montpellier contains nearly 10,000 drug samples. Built up over the centuries, through travel and exchanges with the whole world, these collections are still very much alive, and continue to be enriched by donations and legacies. But also through work: the drug house is now a very active centre for education and research.
A place of teaching, research and cultural discoveries, the droguier is a Mecca for ethnopharmacology: a science that examines the traditional knowledge linked to the use of plants and what they can teach us. Rather complex knowledge... Because a plant is a real cocktail of chemical compounds, which varies according to many parameters: the season, the soil in which it grows, the sunshine...
A long history
In the middle of the 16th century, Guillaume de Rondelet, Regent of the University of Medicine, created the first botanical garden in Montpellier. As early as 1588, a drugstore took shape on the initiative of a Montpellier apothecary: Bernardin II Duranc, who decided to set up a sample in his "shop" in the rue de l'Aiguillerie to teach the "escholiers carabins" the virtues of plants. The doors of the university were opened to a master apothecary... Heir to this first druggist's shop, the Droguier de Montpellier was moved in 1963 to the new premises of the Faculty of Pharmacy.