Studying at Montpellier University

Ukrainian students wishing to come to Montpellier :

Welcome Desk - University of Montpellier

The University of Montpellier has been awarded the "Welcome to France" label for the quality of its welcome for international students.

You are a credit mobility student

If you are a student on an exchange program and would like to spend time or do an internship at the University of Montpellier (Erasmus+ program, bilateral exchange, BCI program, etc.).

Erasmus +

Every year, the University of Montpellier welcomes a large number of students under the Erasmus + program. To participate in this program, you must be selected by your home university. Contact the international relations office of the component in your field of study, which will inform you about the specific terms and conditions of your mobility: accommodation in university halls of residence, academic calendar, study contract, etc.

INTER-UNIVERSITY partnership agreements

The University of Montpellier has signed partnership agreements with universities all over the world.

Under these agreements, you can spend a semester or two in one of our training departments.

You must :

  • be registered at your home university;
  • your application will be announced by your home university's international relations department to the international relations office of your faculty or department;
  • subscribe to French student social security except on presentation of the European Health Insurance Card or the France-Quebec SE401-Q106 form.

Program benefits :

  • exemption from tuition fees at the host university ;
  • recognition of your studies at the University of Montpellier by your home university.

The University of Montpellier takes part in the BCI student exchange program.

To participate in this program you must :

  • Be registered at your home university;
  • Successfully complete two years of study (L2);
  • To be able to cover travel and accommodation costs;
  • Be selected by your university ;
  • Complete an educational contract with the professor in charge at your university and send it to the International Relations Department at the University of Montpellier.

Depending on the number of places available and the consistency of the study contract, the application may or may not be accepted. Accepted students will receive a letter of acceptance. The mobility period is one or two semesters.

Program benefits :

  • Tuition fees waived at the University of Montpellier ;
  • Recognition of your course of study at the University of Montpellier by your home university;
  • Exemption from student social security coverage in France on presentation of the France-Québec SE401-Q106 form.

If you have any questions about admissions, equivalences, language tests, student cards or courses, please contact the International Relations Office in your department.

You are a student on a degree-granting mobility programme

Before preparing your arrival in France, please contact the Campus France office in your home country. If your country is on the list of Campus France countries, applications must be submitted to Campus France before you can consider enrolling at the University of Montpellier. You will find here the "Study in France" procedure for applying according to your level of study.


Your application has been accepted by the University of Montpellier after the Etudes en France procedure, and you would like more information on how to register: please contact the school of your host university.

Tuition/registration fees

Tuition fees for a bachelor's degree are 170 euros for a full academic year, 243 euros for a Master's degree, 601 euros for an engineering degree in an establishment under the supervision of the Ministry of Higher Education, and 380 euros for a Doctorate.

Courses that interest you

We recommend that you take a look at our range of courses to find out which faculties and courses are best suited to your needs.

French as a foreign language

To study French at a university in Montpellier, we recommend you contact the IEFE at Université Paul Valéry or the Centre de Langue CIHEAM-IAMM.

What level of French? DELF, DALF

Please contact your host university to find out what level of French you need to have, whether certification or other.

Scholarships and financial aid

For information on scholarships and financial aid for international students, please consult the dedicated Campus France page.

Doctoral studies

Please find the contact details for your doctoral school, as well as " Administrative formalities " to find out how to register for a doctorate.

Financial aid for doctoral students

If you haven't found the answer to your question, please send us an e-mail to Welcome Desk.

Your life in Montpellier

Residence permit (non-EU citizens)

To obtain your residence permit, visit the ANEF (Administration Numérique pour les Étrangers en France) online platform for international students.

Short/long-term accommodation
Student employment

Useful links

UM services

Administrative formalities

We can help you with all the administrative formalities when you arrive at the UM (registration, student card, integration, etc.). Contact your host department.

Computerized procedures

We also provide information on digital management media at the UM:

  • Digital Working Environment (ENT)
  • Be sure to validate your IT passport beforehand to gain access to the digital environment.
  • Moodle: timetable, courses, exam registration forms, etc.
  • E-mail address étudiante
Student activities at the UM

Discover the sports and cultural activities available to UM students:

In conjunction with UM

Online visa application on France-visas

International students can apply for their visa online at France-Visas. Video tutorials guide students through the process: creating an account, applying online, scanning documents.
More information

Residence permit and/or student sponsorship
Student social security

Contribution Vie Étudiante et de Campus (Student and Campus Life Contribution ): compulsory when enrolling in higher education.

Application for scholarships and/or housing

Consult the CROUS services guide

  • Campus Bourses: the essential tool for seeking funding. Service only for scholarship holders managed by Campus France
  • Everything you need to know about health insurance before arriving in France
  • How does the French health insurance system work?

Health Insurance toolbox (French, English, Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin)

Cultural news from the city of Montpellier

Get your Pass Métropole card so you don't miss out on any "good deals" on sports, culture or leisure.

Mobility See more